Followers

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Tanya's Path to Wellness Update

Wow, it has been a little over a year since I started with a cautious dabble into the Paleo world with the help of my friend Sherri! Long story short on that, I did it for a month, found it wasn't as hard as I thought, I felt good GREAT, but I didn't lose any weight.  For me this was a real disappointment, and I wish I had the mindset of Sherri, that it isn't about weight.  It is about health. But I physically and psychologically NEEDED to lose some weight. I have severe insulin resistance, no thyroid and on my 5 foot 1 frame, every pound is a burden and I am truly the embodiment of a metabolic nightmare. I really thought one month of strict Paleo would produce at least a little loss on the scale, but it didn't, so I didn't continue. Head hangs in shame....  HOWEVER, as is every experience in life, my Paleo project proved to be an invaluable one, that I was led to be a part of for a bigger purpose later down the road. 

During the journey, about 20 lbs down, Nov 2013
Fast forward 6 months. I gained even more weight continuing my SAD diet. I was really feeling bad, and I needed to DO SOMETHING.  One day in July, I stumbled upon a plan called Trim Healthy Mama (THM). It was focused on high quality foods, limiting soy, corn, high glycemic foods and  eliminating sugar ( much like Paleo in some ways, although different in others) In THM, foods are eaten in a combination that promotes weight loss. E meals are "energizing meals" and S meals are "satisfying" meals. E meals are comprised of HEALTHY carbs, with minimal fats, and S meals are HEALTHY fats, with minimal carbs. Healthy carbs and fat both have important roles in the functioning of the body, however, when spaced at intervals of 3 hours apart, your body has time to process the single fuel you used at the last meal. This plan has been a wonderful framework for me. I do still follow MANY of the same Paleo principles actually. Although, THM is NOT a gluten free plan, I have since given up gluten/wheat and only eat MINIMAL grains, being the occasional rice, and oatmeal. My primary carbs are sweet potatoes and apples. I find myself following MANY Paleo/Primal websites and Facebook pages, and using MANY recipes from Paleo cookbooks and tweaking them slightly to fit my needs (including those RIGHT HERE). I am happy to say, that using a combination of these things, I am down 30lbs since July and I have 5lbs left to reach my goal. YAY!!!!

Since I started serious focus on finding out what my body needs to perform optimally, I have found out that I am also sensitive to things I never knew! The latest has been proplyene glycol. I made a recipe that called for caramel flavoring along with other things that I eat all the time without difficulty. My stomach was torn up for hours that night. The only difference was this ONE ingredient, I had 1/2 tablespoon. OUCH. Come to find out it is in most hair products (I have had a sensitive scalp as long as I can remember), as well as countless other things. So now I am working to research and replace these products, and I am ditching the caramel extract obviously! The answer to a long unsolved mystery has finally been discovered! 

The biggest things I have learned in my journey are these:

1. We are all at different places in our journey to wellness. Sherri was many steps further down the road than I was. She has always had the intuition and desire to seek wellness versus weight management, and I really respect her for that. In this way she has also lost many pounds since I met her. But it wasn't her primary goal, just the result of improving her health and the choices she made. BRAVO! I still look to her for much advice on MANY different levels.

2. We all have different needs in our journey to wellness. Sherri is dairy free because she has never been able to handle dairy as long as I have known her. However, I handle dairy just fine. I no longer drink cows milk, but have replaced with almond milk, but I do have cream, butter, cheese, cottage cheese and greek yogurt on a regular basis. 

3. There is more than one road in our journey to wellness. Sherri has found her way with a strict Paleo lifestyle, while I have found my way through a combination of Trim Healthy Mama/Primal lifestyle. Neither road is wrong, and they take us to the same place...our best health.

4. We MUST become more in tune with our bodies. I had never taken the time to slow down enough to do this. A huge blessing came into my life last year, allowing me to work part time near home, so that I could focus more on my health and my family. This has been a real learning experience for me. I suspect MANY out there do not know the art of listening to their bodies either. I am still learning. 

If there is anything you take from this, please let it be this. Take the time to learn to treat your body with respect by fueling it in a healthy way, and then begin listening to what your body is telling you. Everything you eat or drink is connected to the way you feel. It has taken me longer to realize this than I care to admit, even though I have always been very "health conscious" in the eyes of my friends/family. I wish you continued success in your personal journey to wellness. 

Until next time! Love, Tanya

If you would like to learn more about the Trim Healthy Mama plan. 

(I do not make money from sharing this!) 



No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you! Please share and comment!