Followers

Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Painful Before Pictures

Hi, I'm Sherri.  We are just beginning this journal, but I have been on this wellness journey since the Wednesday before Easter. I have had thyroid issues for years (all but one lobe removed) and I have A TON of fluid in my feet, ankles, and neck. I have been dairy free for years and gluten free off and on for a very long time. Very little difference in health even with those major changes. Finally, my natural doc informed me that I have "Leaky Gut" and that is what sparked my fire! I went Paleo that day and have not looked back. The detox was hard! My stomach BURNED and trips to the restroom were often. My body was really working hard to rid itself of the toxic trash I was putting in it. This took two entire weeks! After about a month, the fluid began to disappear; I could see ankle bones for the first time in years!! The pounds are coming off slowly but surely. I am down about 43 lbs. now. I cannot express in words how much better I feel. The difference is amazing!! It is funny b/c the weight loss, which was once my only goal, is just like a side effect of my lifestyle now. My true GOAL is to improve overall health, heal my stomach, get my thyroid/lymphatic system back on track, and to have a glow of happiness and health from within that flows out to others around me!
 
Since we are just beginning this blog now, I will have to recap my journey little by little. Well, I may as well start with the painful before pics!! Believe it or not, the biggest part of me was hidden in the chair!  Oh, that is my sister's dog that I'm using to hide some of my fat--LOL!  Note the fluid filled neck and ankles. There were many days that I felt like I would "pop" if someone poked me with a pin. At this point, that little smile in the photo was as about as happy and excited as I got. I felt so bad, for so long, that I had forgotten what feeling good really felt like.  If you have thyroid issues or a different type of autoimmune issue, I'm sure you will understand what that is like. The picture above was me a few pounds less than my max weight, 217 lbs. 

My swollen neck, feet and ankles, along with cold hands and feet(your hubby can tell you this for sure-LOL), dry/cracked heels, brain fog, fatigue even when rested are all signs of my thyroid. 7 or 8 years ago they found a mass on my thyroid and removed it with over half of my thyroid gland. Thank God that it was not cancer. After I was VERY tired and my symptoms were horrible, but every endocrine I went to pretty much told me that I did not need meds, but needed to back up from the table. This made me feel HORRIBLE, since I was hardly eating anything as it was and gaining weight like crazy. I just felt like a fat failure! Finally I found my current doctor that will always treat me naturally first. He explained why I got the mass in the first place, what would happen if I didn't take additional thyroid (armour), and told me this was NOT MY FAULT. He treated the person in front of him and not the blood test numbers (which by the way were in the "normal" range). I felt better and started losing weight. I went back resently with more problems b/c of the "leaky gut". I was having so many allergic reactions that they allergy tested me for everything, but the leaky gut was causing the problems. I will say that eating Paleo has been the BEST thing for the swelling. Being off of all the processed foods, glutens, and grains have allow my body to absorb and use the Armour thyroid. Fluid is going down and my stomach is healing itself slowly but surely.

I have been dairy free and off and on gluten free for years. In fact, I went vegan for almost 6 months, but my skin was horrible, my hair was falling out, digestion was HORRIBLE, and I had no energy. I was just diagnosed with "leaky gut" the Wednesday before Easter and I really think being vegan lead to the "leaky gut". I went diary free and gluten free (I did have gluten free processed items)for about 6 more months, but my system was still out of sorts really bad. Once diagnosed, I went strict Paleo and have not looked back. I just consider it my new lifestyle and don't really feel like I have to "cheat" (if that makes any sense). I just know that I have been fighting this for years now and this simple change has made me feel SOOOO MUCH BETTER that the grains are just not worth feeling horrible again. With all that I have given up in the past, I just didn't feel the difference. In fact, I felt useless since no matter what I did just didn't work. It was not until I was off ALL GRAINS that I felt this amazing difference in my body. The fluid loss alone was awesome, but the inches and weight loss, more energy, better digestion, glowing skin, improved mood (happier), and overall improved health makes it a winner for me.
 
In the days and weeks to come, I will be posting about my thyroid/autoimmue issues, recipes/cooking adventures, books/info. that I can not live without, how I shop and stock my panty to make my life easier, eating out tips, items I love/hate, and how I changed my lifestyle.  I'm blogging in hopes of being a source and support to others who may be in my situation.  I prayed for God to place me on the right path to healing and this is where He placed me.  I hope to spread some of the light that God has given to me!  Stay tuned for the rest of the story...
Oh, the fluid filled neck!!  Sometimes I felt like my neck was going to swallow my head!

More neck rolls!

Poor Santa!!  Yes, I felt like a hot air balloon!!

You know, I never realized I had a gut!!  Neck is very fluid filled!

2 comments:

  1. You look better than I have ever seen you in the last 9 1/2 years since we met (not just about the weight). In addition to the awesome weight loss, your skin is pretty and glowing, your demeanor seems happier, calmer, more centered and peaceful. And, it doesn't seem like it's been that hard for you! So, I am inspired!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that is a combination of Jesus and coconut oil!!! I prayed for God to place me on the right path to improve my health. This is where He placed me. Right in a jar of coconut oil! So now I cook with one jar in the kitchen and moisturize face/body with one in the bathroom! LOL!

      Delete

We would love to hear from you! Please share and comment!