Followers

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Sour Cream & Chive Cauli-tatoes

Do you miss a scoop of mashed potatoes (cream potatoes in my house)on your plate?  Well, this recipe makes a great substitute and adds some veggies to your diet too!  So instead of making cream "potatoes", I decided to make creamed cauliflower.  I know, I know, it does not "sound" as good, but you have got to give this a try.  This was a total success here!  I could not stop eating it!  Trust me!

Ingredients:
  • Two heads of cauliflower
  • 2-4 Tbsp. butter (Kerrygold Pure Irish Butter/Grassfed is what I used)
  • 1/2 cup Coconut Milk Sour Cream or 1/2 a recipe (see recipe below)
  • 1 tsp. onion powder
  • 1 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1 tsp. chives
  • Salt and pepper to taste
Directions:
Wash and steam cauliflower until extremely tender.  While cauliflower is still warm (this is key to making it smooth), blend (I used my Ninja) all ingredients until smooth and seasoning, butter and coconut milk sour cream are all distributed throughout.  Begin with the smaller amount of butter and add more as needed.  Same with the salt and pepper.  Some may like more garlic or even more chives.  Make it your own.

Coconut Milk Sour Cream:
  • 1 can of Thai Kitchen brand coconut milk (TRUST ME, USE THIS BRAND)
  • 1 to 1 1/2 Tbsp. lemon juice
  • Pinch or two of sea salt (1/8 tsp.)
There is a great visual tutorial on how to this sour cream here!
http://blog.stuffimakemyhusband.com/2012/10/fish-taco-bowl.html

I found an easy recipe for dairy-free sour cream . First, take a can of Thai Kitchen coconut milk (full fat) and let it sit in the fridge for overnight or longer . I buy the Thai brand just for this recipe and thus I store them in the fridge so they are ready when I need them.  This DOES NOT work with all brands, but it definitely works with Thai Kitchen.  You can use one of the mini 5.5 oz cans for this recipe, but then you won't have leftovers for your next meal (like fajitas, etc.).  Take can out of fridge, flip it upside down and use a can opener to remove the bottom of the can. This will reveal a watery liquid that has separated from the solid coconut cream.  Pour off the liquidy layer and discard.
Spoon out the solid coconut cream into a bowl, add 1 tsp lemon juice and a large pinch (about 1/8 tsp salt) to the coconut cream and stir thoroughly.  You may do a little taste here and there to see if you would like more lemon juice or salt.  Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you! Please share and comment!