Followers

Saturday, January 5, 2013

Tanya: Wellness Comes in Many Forms

Sherri and I thought about what to name this blog when we started it. We didn't want it to be solely about eating Paleo. We wanted to have some breadth to be able to post about other things than strictly about food, cooking, diet, etc. I am so glad we did that, because as I was reflecting this morning, I was inspired to write an entry about wellness being about more than just food and exercise.

You see, I believe that wellness encompasses MANY things. I believe it includes how you feel mentally. This in itself includes many things. So, while  I have made diet changes so far this year, I have also made some other  rather big changes. One of these includes having the courage to explore other work options, do the research to see if it was a feasible and realistic change that would benefit our family overall. I got all the facts, and when an opportunity came up, I wasn't afraid to reach for it. I am happy to report that I GOT IT!

I interviewed this fall for a job in the school system where I live, which would cut a significant amount of commuting for me. This job is the same job that I had, EXCEPT it was Part-Time, which equals no benefits, and less money, and not year round pay.  AND it equals more time with the family, more time to prepare healthy meals, to exercise and to put focus on expanding my other businesses.

Yesterday, marked the last day at my full-time job that I had been at for 9 1/2 years. The hard part was leaving the amazing group of women FRIENDS that I worked with. We were an extremely cohesive group  who really worked as a team. We really are very much like a work family, rather than co-workers. I will also miss some of my amazing students and their families, some of whom I've worked with the last 9 1/2 years. These, I will miss, more than just a little.

Conversely, next week I begin at my new place of employment. I am excited and nervous, and I know it is what I needed in this stage of my life and career. I have all the regular worries: will they like me? will it be really different than what I have been doing? will I be able to catch on to how they do it quickly? But I also know that 9 years ago I knew nothing about working as an occupational therapist in a school system, and I figured it out. And I have been told that I haven't done half bad. So... I know I can do it again. My past experience tells me that, and I am oddly calm about the prospect, despite my history of anxiety about the unknown.

In addition, Last night my wonderful hubby and I had an amazing date night. We celebrated endings, new beginnings and his belated birthday. We had an amazing dinner at Texas de Brazil (and I did very well eating "legally" but I did divert a bit and had a wonderful glass of wine at dinner. I felt in this case it was worth it.) Most importantly, I didn't over indulge on food or wine, I just ENJOYED. FULLY!  To make it even more perfect, my hubby is so awesome he wanted to see the movie Les Miserables, and it was beyond fabulous! I highly recommend it! We came home and had a very highly coveted un-interrupted night's rest. This date was more than just a date. It was a breath of fresh air, a re-connection, a milestone in a journey of love and marriage, a blessing. All of those things are significant in my personal journey to wellness.

So, you see, wellness comes in many forms. For me it is eating these healthy foods, rearranging my work to be more aligned with my priorities, reconnecting with my husband and MYSELF. 

I challenge you to not only look at your diet in your journey to wellness, but the other things that profoundly affect you every day. What can you do to re-align your life to match your priorities where you are now? It is a question only you can answer after reflecting a bit. I'd love to hear some things you have done!

Have a fabulous day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you! Please share and comment!