Followers

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Wow, your skin is glowing!!

Since beginning Paleo over 10 months ago, I continue to hear, "Wow, your skin is just glowing!"  I always reply that it is a combination of a little coconut oil and a whole lot of Jesus!  Both have been great for me and filled me with what I need.  Note that Paleo has allowed my body to get the "FATS" that it needs on the inside and that reflects in my skin and hair.  I also like to add it from the outside too.  So, I was thinking that maybe I should put all my beauty and health tips in one place.  So here it is.  I will continue to add to this post too!



Facial Scrub:
  • 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon coconut oil (I prefer 1/2 teaspoon)
  • 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon baking soda (I prefer 1/8)

Place in palm of hand and mix the two ingredients with your fingers.  The natural heat from your skin will help melt the coconut oil.  Use as a mild facial scrub.  Rinse with warm water.  It will feel a little greasy at first, but your skin will absorb the extra coconut oil shortly.  I use this every three days to once a week. 


Skin Brushing:



Items needed:
  • Dry skin brush with long handle.  They can be found and purchased at most health food stores.  You want to ensure you use a brush made of natural vegetable fibers.  Synthetic fibers can irritate the skin. 
Skin Brushing has really improved my circulation and rid my legs of dried skin.  The following are also some added benefits of skin brushing. 
  • helps to shed dead skin cells
  • increases circulation to skin, encouraging your body’s discharge of metabolic wastes, which greatly aids the lymphatic drainage of the entire body
  • helps to tighten the skin and lessen the appearance of cellulite
  • helps your skin to absorb nutrients by eliminating clogged pores
  • helps with muscle tone and more even distribution of fat deposits
Here is how to skin brush:
Right before entering the shower, while skin is still DRY, grab your brush and begin with your feet (don't forget the soles of both feet).  Use gentle one-stroke movements covering the feet, then move up to the knee, then thigh (all the way around each leg).  Always move from the extremities (hands and feet) to the heart.  So, brush from feet to abdomen, then from hands up your arms and towards your heart.  Brush across your upper back and down the front and back of your torso.  Cover the entire surface of you skin only once.  Your skin should not be red, if so you are pressing too hard.  If done right, you should experience a lite tingling of the skin when you get into a warm shower or bath. 


Two kinds of Body Scrub:

1. Coconut Lavender Magnesium Scrub

  • 1 to 2 Tbsp. Coconut oil
  • 1 to 2 Tbsp. Epsom Salt (I used the lavender kind)
  • Essential oil (If your salts are not already scented.)
Add salts.
 
Add coconut oil.
 

Mix the above ingredients in small cup or bowl.  I mix a little at a time with my hands.  Your natural body heat will melt coconut oil.  I use small about and start scrubbing in a circular motion from feet, up legs, and toward the heart.  Next, from your hands, up arms, then torso.  If you have an awesome spouse, this is the perfect time to get your back done too!  ;)  The Epsom Salt makes a little more course scrub.  I always use this scrub in combination with the Lavender Epsom Salt Bath.  It takes 20 minutes for your body to soak up the magnesium from this bath/scrub.  Since magnesium helps to relax sore muscles and prevents muscle cramps, I use this scrub on days when Crossfit has left every muscle in my body sore!!  ;)



2. Coconut Baking Soda Scrub
  • 1 to 2 Tbsp. Coconut Oil
  • 1 to 2 Tbsp. Baking Soda
Just like the facial scrub, but this time you can add essential oils.  Place in palm of hand and mix the two ingredients with your fingers. The natural heat from your skin will help melt the coconut oil. Use as a mild body scrub. Rinse with warm water. It will feel a little greasy at first, but your skin will absorb the extra coconut oil shortly.  You skin will feel baby soft!  Not that some people may like more baking soda for more exfoliation.


Lavender Epsom Salt Bath (great Magnesium source):


I keep this jar on the side of my tub.  I add about two cups to a tub of warm/hot bath water.  Soak for at least 20 minutes to absorb all the benefits of the magnesium.  ENJOY AND RELAX!
 


 
Magnesium Info:
Researchers and physicians suggest these health benefits from proper magnesium and sulfate levels, as listed on the web site of the Epsom Salt Industry Council:
  • Improved heart and circulatory health, reducing irregular heartbeats, preventing hardening of the arteries, reducing blood clots and lowering blood pressure.
  • Improved ability for the body to use insulin, reducing the incidence or severity of diabetes.
  • Flushed toxins and heavy metals from the cells, easing muscle pain and helping the body to eliminate harmful substances.
  • Improved nerve function by electrolyte regulation. Also, calcium is the main conductor for electrical current in the body, and magnesium is necessary to maintain proper calcium levels in the blood.
  • Relieved stress. Excess adrenaline and stress are believed to drain magnesium, a natural stress reliever, from the body. Magnesium is necessary for the body to bind adequate amounts of serotonin, a mood-elevating chemical within the brain that creates a feeling of well being and relaxation.
  • Reduced inflammation to relieve pain and muscle cramps.
  • Improved oxygen use.
  • Improved absorption of nutrients.
  • Prevention or easing of migraine headaches.

Read more: http://www.care2.com/greenliving/health-benefits-of-epsom-salt-baths.html#ixzz2JCQ8v2px


Moisturizer:
Don't forget to add a little extra coconut oil as a moisturizer.  I use a lot at night and a little in the morning under my make-up.  My face LOVES it!


 


 


 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you! Please share and comment!